Thursday, December 6, 2007

Week #7 Post #16

I accessed the iHCPL wiki and created an account. I then posted my blog to the favorite blogs page on the iHCPL wiki. Two notifications from ihcpl.pbwiki.com were then received in my email. I overviewed the sample wikis suggested to us through the associated Discovery Exercise for this unit.

This concept and practice of collaborative knowledge sites does have a place in libraries. It's very good for a quick survey on a topic. This isn't the item you are going to use in a DBQ -- Document Based Question -- exercise. It's another tool we use at the information desk as a starting point or for a review of information (which you understand may not be properly sourced). For exact statistical information or the accuracy of various dates, I would go to another more established (reliable) source.

No comments: